Dear Friends of New England Glow Regional Youth Ministry,
Grace and peace to you at the end of a very challenging year. The COVID-19 pandemic complicated our lives and challenged our spirits in ways we could never have imagined. And yet, in the midst of the upheaval, God continues to do a new thing! Inspired by the prevalence of virtual meetings and the deep need to care for our youth this year, New England Glow Regional Youth Ministry was born.
Over the past year, over 20 youth from 18 churches, from Massachusetts to Maine, have gathered online for prayer, games, Bible study, and community. Most Presbyterian churches in the Northeast find it challenging to provide ongoing youth programming with only a handful of youth from year to year. By working together across the region, we can create a larger community of relationships for our youth and share the labor of preparing and leading the programming, a win for all involved.
This collaborative work makes sense on so many levels. But the need for it has never been more crucial. Over the course of the pandemic, youth mental health concerns have increased sharply. We know that one thing that helps young people deal with anxiety, depression, and other challenges is connection to a meaningful community. New England Glow is grateful for the opportunity to serve our youth in this time of uncertainty and anxiety.
In the spring of 2021, we were officially recognized as a Network by the Synod of the Northeast, status that gives us access to Synod resources, including a $10,000 seed grant. As we continue to grow our program and our community, we need to grow that seed grant into full funding for a program year.
We have a lot planned for the 2021-2022 school year, including our first retreat at Camp Wilmot, a regional Confirmation class, and continued opportunities for service projects, faith formation, and fun. Will you help us grow what God has planted?
Some examples of what your donations can fund:
- A gift of $25… One scholarship for confirmation materials A gift of $50… One year subscription for the website and domain name
- A gift of $70… One scholarship for CityReach at Common Cathedral
- A gift of $100… One scholarship for a weekend retreat
- A gift of $200… Honorarium for a Special Guest Speaker
- A gift of $250… Travel expenses for site visits by Program Coordinator
- A gift of $500… Communication/Connection expenses for one year A gift of $800… Food expenses for one weekend retreat
- A gift of $1750… Camp Wilmot Rental for 1 weekend
Our goal is to find 15 churches who will each contribute at least $100, and 15 individual donors who will each contribute at least $25. Will you join in this exciting, meaningful ministry?
There are 3 ways to support this growing ministry.
1. Donate Online through the Presbytery of Boston website, including the note “New England Glow”, at https://presbyteryofboston.org/Contact-Us/Donate.
Steps for donation online:
- Click “Click Here to make an online donation.”
- Enter the desired donation amount in the “General Mission Funds” box (you will be able to include your designation on the next screen).
- Choose Donation Frequency “One Time” or “Weekly.”
- Click continue.
- Fill out your financial information.
- Scroll to the button of the page and include the phrase “New England Glow” in the notes section. You must include this note or donations will not be sent to New England Glow.
- If you would like to designate your donation as a scholarship please include the phrase “New England Glow Scholarship” in the notes section.
2. Donate by a cheque, written out to the Presbytery of Boston with the note “New England Glow” in the memo line, sent attn. Jen Slater, Presbyterian Church in Burlington, 335 Cambridge Street, Burlington, MA, 01803. If you would like to designate your donation as a scholarship please include the phrase “New England Glow Scholarship” in the memo line.
3. Check out our Amazon Wish List for some of our most needed items. (The list will be updated regularly so be sure to check back often!) Thank you for your generosity and support during our first year of ministry and with your support we look forward to many more adventures to come.
Sincerely Yours, Jen Slater
New England Glow Program Coordinator